Alfred has been a Certicom consultant since 1994. He provides technical consulting on research and core technology standards and serves as a liaison between Certicom and the Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research at Waterloo.
Alfred received B.Math, M.Math, and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics from the University of Waterloo in 1987, 1989, and 1992, respectively. He was an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Auburn University (U.S.) from 1992 until 1997, before moving to the University of Waterloo where he is now a Full Professor of Mathematics. At Waterloo, he teaches courses in cryptography and mathematics, and serves on the managing board of the Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research.
He is the author of Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems and co-author of Handbook of Applied Cryptography and Applications of Finite Fields, and co-inventor of the MQV key agreement protocols.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Authenticated Diffie-Hellman key agreement protocols", Proceedings of the 5th Annual Workshop on Selected Areas in Cryptography, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1556, 339-361, 1999.
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Unknown key-share attacks on the Station-to-Station (STS) protocol", Proceedings of Public Key Cryptography '99, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1560, 154-170, March 1999.
- D. Johnson and A. Menezes, "The elliptic curve digital signature algorithm (ECDSA)", Technical report CORR 99-34, Department of C&O, University of Waterloo, August 1999.
- A. Menezes and P. van Oorschot, "Information theory, coding theory and cryptology", Handbook of Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, CRC Press, 1999, pages 889-954.
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Entity authentication and authenticated key transport protocols employing asymmetric techniques", Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Security Protocols, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1361 (1998), 137-158.
- L. Law, A. Menezes, M. Qu, J. Solinas and S. Vanstone, "An efficient protocol for authenticated key agreement", Technical report CORR 98-05, Department of C&O, University of Waterloo, March 1998. http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca
- A. Menezes, Y. Wu and R. Zuccherato, "An elementary introduction to hyperelliptic curves", appendix in Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography by Neal Koblitz, Springer-Verlag, 1998, pages 155-178.
- Handbook of Applied Cryptography, Alfred Menezes, Paul van Oorschot and Scott Vanstone CRC Press, 1996.
- Applications of Finite Fields, Alfred Menezes, Ian Blake, Shuhong Gao, Ron Mullin, Scott Vanstone, and Tomik Yaghoobian, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993
- Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems, Alfred Menezes, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993