"XM Satellite Radio is transforming radio with the support and participation of its leading music and news programming partners including MTV, CNBC, CNN Headline News, CNET, Fox News, ABC News & Talk, USA Today, Bloomberg, and BBC World Service," said XM Vice President Derek de Bastos. "Certicom's strong encryption technology is a crucial element of our service as it protects the integrity of our content and ensures that only authenticated members have access to it.
Digital content is now distributed to a plethora of end-user devices, including mobile handsets, set-top boxes, PCs, and car information systems. All of these are built on different architectures with complex hardware and software combinations. This contributes to a complex digital content ecosystem. And without Digital Rights Management (DRM) this ecosystem is vulnerable to security threats.
New media channels represent new markets: but to capitalize on them, service providers must first establish business-friendly controls over the digital rights to content. Conditional access is essential.
With robust DRM software you can:
- Secure the software: including the DRM Agent and applications that consume digital content
- Secure the silicon: cryptographic keys and sensitive information must be securely stored and accessed. As well, secure media co-processor designs can be used to deliver performance and security benefits.
- Secure device manufacture: invoke anti-cloning measures and prevent misuse of keying material at manufacture.
Trust begins at the platform
Working together, the Certicom Security Architecture™ and Certicom Trusted Infrastructure™ allow for the creation of a secure, trusted platform on which providers can build and distribute their services. That trust extends all the way from a device’s boot process through to the upper-layer security protocols, achieved through cryptographic hardware validation, code-signing, and integrity measurement and reporting.
DRM software from Certicom provides a comprehensive framework for DRM implementations, and includes the Certicom Security Architecture™ and Certicom KeyInject™ with the following components:
- A pre-integrated OMA DRM Agent that is extensible to other DRM scheme
- Embedded Trust Services (ETS) for secure key storage and key management
- Hardware IP Cores to secure media co-processor designs
- Board Support Packages (BSPs) to expose hardware cryptographic providers in leading processors
- Trusted key injection to secure device manufacture